Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"A terrible beauty, O God, streams from your sanctuary.  It's Israel's strong God! He gives power and might to his people!  O you, his people—bless God!"
Psalm 68:35, The Message

"He gives power ...".  Power.  Dictionary dot com defines power as the " ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something."

"... and might".  Might.  Remember when we used to look things up in Websters?  Anyway, that same website defines might as "superior power or strength; force; power or ability to do or accomplish".

So God gives us the ability to do something ... He makes us capable of doing something ... and while He's at it, He gives us superior power and strength to accompany our ability.  Without looking up the original Hebrew or Greek, and relying only on the definitions above, I'd have to say that God gives us an above average ... like, way above average ... ability to do something.  Something.  Something?  What's that?

Let me tell you what I think it is ... or isn't.  Something to me describes a 'thing' or 'act' that's average, common, everyday ... maybe a step above that, but nothing spectacular.  Something as in "Honey, can you pick me up a Big Mac on the way home?  What do I want to go with it?  I don't know ... get me something ... anything."  To me that's something.  It creeps into the realm of a step above average when you see a football player make a great catch, as in "that catch was something else!".

So what's my point?  My point is this: From what I read, it sounds like God gives us superior power and ability to conquer the average, mundane, common problems in life.  In other words, He gives us the ability to accomplish things that we'd normally try to accomplish on our own.  As I've stated before, I write this for you, the reader, as well as for myself.  Tonight, this is definitely for me as much as anyone.

I've had to learn the hard way to rely on God to help with me everyday issues.  It's easy for us to rely on God when a loved one is diagnosed with cancer.  It's easy to rely on God when we experience any number of lifes tragic situations.  Why?  Because the last I checked, I can't cure cancer.  I can't perform heart surgery.  I can't get someone to quit drinking, or doing drugs, or over eating.  For those things, I need to rely on God.  What about the little things in life?  Like finding a parking spot at the mall, or saying the right thing to a friend who's discouraged, or buying a new car?  Do we need to involve God in stuff like that?  To be honest, I don't know.  I don't know if God cares that I drive a Camry.  What I do know is this ... the more I involve God in my everday life, the more i talk to God, the better I get to know God. 

My wife and I routinely pray for good parking spots.  We get one maybe 50% of the time.  Either way, that's one more time on that particular day that I talked with my Father.  Paul encourages us to "pray without ceasing".  To me, that means talk to God all day, about anything and everything.  Not because He needs you to.  Not to get things.  Talk to Him for the purpose of getting to know Him better.  God loves you ... somehow He even loves me.  He doesn't need to have a relationship with us, but He wants one.  Think about that and how special a concept that is. 

Involve God in the simple things.  He's given you and I the ability to do so.  Don't do it for yourself though ... do it because it will bless Him.  As usual, when I ask you to do something, you can know that I'm doing it too.  We're on this journey together.  God bless you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home