"If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help."
James 1:5, The Message
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. "
James 1:5, New International Version
As a freshman at Michigan State University I had a humanities class with a professor who made an enormous impact on my life with one statement. I can't remember the professor's name, what class it was, anything from the class, or what grade I got, but I remember what he told us within the first three minutes of the first class: "Never be afraid to admit ignorance". Those words have been with me ever since, and have played an important role in many decisions I've made over the years. More than anything, it was a principle I've followed throughout my professional career, where I learned it's better to admit ignorance than trying to have the answer for everything.
So God tells us to ask Him for help. What do you think of that? What do you think of asking for help period? I've never been one to ask for help. Don't get me wrong, I've had to ... I just didn't want to. Asking for help typically comes after I've exhausted three or four ideas of my own. It's just not the first thing I consider when an issue arises. My knee jerk reaction is to try to fix it, solve it, conquer it, get through it ... on my own.
God however wants us ... me ... to act differently. He wants me to rely on Him, for everything. He wants me to come to Him with the major and minor problems in life. He wants me to consult Him on the small and large decisions. And when I encounter a situation that I'm just plain ignorant about, He wants me to ask Him for wisdom.
One of the reasons I don't like to ask for help is this: I don't like to admit that I can't do something. Or that I failed. Or even fell short. I don't think anyone likes to admit those things. Some people may be able to admit it easier than others, but I'm sure that no one likes to. It's embarrassing. It's humbling. For some it may evoke even worse feelings. I was in the second grade when I needed help with something. I had forgotten a book at home, and the school had to call my dad to have him bring it to me. Now I can't for the life of me think of a book that a second grader would have that would be so important that it had to be brought to the school, but I guess such a book exists. So when my dad showed up with the book, my teacher took me out into the hallway to meet my dad, and take delivery of this oh-so-important book. She then scolded me for being forgetful, and did her best to make me feel guilty for interrupting my dad's busy day because I had forgotten my book. She succeeded. I'm pretty sure I started crying a little bit. I needed help ... I was 7 ... and instead of the teacher being gracious, and thanking my dad for bringing the book, she chose to knock me down a few rungs on the self-esteem ladder. Even more amazing is the lack of response on my dad's part. What an opportunity to stick up for your son, to intercede on his behalf. He didn't ... not surpising though ... maybe I'll address that in another post.
If you're reading this and you don't really know much about God, follower or not, let me assure you of one thing: God won't knock you down. He's not out to make you feel bad, guilty, or lesser of a person. He gives (help) generously, without finding fault. Isn't that wonderful? He not only wants to help you ... He isn't just looking for ways to help you ... It isn't enough that He's ready 24/7 to help you ... but He's going to do it without condemning you. He's going to help you, and encourage you at the same time. He's not going to point out your mistakes, shortcomings, poor judgement, faults ... or even your ignorance. He just wants to help. It really is that simple.
2,010 years ago God sent to earth the ultimate Helper ... His son Jesus. It's just after 12 am on Christmas day, the day that celebrates the birth of Jesus. He was sent here for us, to not only help us, or to help us pray, but to pray and intercede on our behalf. Jesus/God is the 'dad' who's going to stick up for your in the elementary school hallway of life. He's going to protect you, and comfort you ... even if you forget things now and then. God tells us to pray to him when we need help ... when we don't know what to do ... but we also have Jesus doing the same thing, sitting at God's right hand, praying on our behalf. But then again, that's probably what we'd expect from a Savior.
Thank you Jesus for coming to earth; to save us and deliver us. I pray that your people, including me, honor you properly today. I pray that people who have walked away from you would turn back, and begin following you again. I love you Jesus. Happy birthday.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home