"Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law."
Psalm 119: 109
Years ago I took a personality profile test, using the popular "DiSC" method. The letters represent four different personality types: Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Conscientiousness. Everyone on the planet can be categorized by one or a combination of these four types. Both times I took the test, my profile came back "DiC". Go ahead ... joke all you want ... I've certainly had fun with that title ... I mean profile.
What those three letters mean in that particular order is that I'm primarily a dominant, take-charge person, who likes to have fun and influence others, and if there's time left in the day, will pay attention to details.
High "D" people get a bad rap. So we get stuff done ... so what? And yes, there may be a few casualties along the way. They should have paid better attention, or just gotten out of the way. After all, couldn't they see I had things to do? I've got a life to live, and a busy one at that. If somethings going to get done, I have to do it.
Or so I tell myself.
"Though I constantly take my life into my hands ..." I guess I'm guilty of that aren't I? In fact, I'm sure I try to take over the role God is supposed to play in my life every day. David, who wrote this Psalm, did as well. David probably was a high "D" personality. He had to be to accomplish what he did. At times, like you and I, he nudged God out of the driver's seat and took things into his own hands. That's usually when things would take a turn for the worse.
"... I will not forget your law." So I've been trying to figure out, what 'law' did he remember? Was it "the law" in general? Was it a specific law? At the time he wrote this the Levitical priests had come up with hundreds of laws. (This is where I have to remind you that I'm no priest, or pastor, or theologian. Just a guy who loves Jesus). I guess if I felt like it, I could research the original Greek and Hebrew meaning of the word law, as it was used in that sentence. I don't think that's necessary. Let's instead look to this law ... the big daddy of them all ... the first commandment. "Thou shall have no other gods before me".
Even if his name is Joe. Or Bill. Or Mary. Or Helen. Or whatever your name is.
Put your life into God's hands. It may not be easy, or natural, but it's what He wants from us. When you do it, and it seems hard or awkward to let go of your life ... know that I'm doing the same, and probably struggling too. We'll do it together.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home