Monday, November 29, 2010

"I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some."

1 Corinthians 9:22b

This was one of the verses referenced yesterday in church.  The theme of the two week series was being ready to tell your testimony.  The title of the series was "Ask Me".  Our pastor had images of t-shirts with the words "Ask Me" printed on the front on the big screens above the pulpit.  He challenged us to think about what type of response we'd get if we wore those shirts around.  Most people would probably reply 'ask you what?'.  It made me think ...

I'm in a country music band.  I'm the lead singer.  Because of that people automatically think I'm outgoing.  I'm not.  I'd much rather share my thoughts through a keyboard than a microphone.  I do love music however, and enjoy performing.  For me it's a form of make believe.  You see, that is me up there, but it's not really me. 

Anyway, doing that as a Christian has offended some people in my life.  They're no longer in my life ... if they're going to act that way, they can move on.  To quote the last line in the chorus of a song I just wrote, 'you don't have to like me'.  More on that at another time.  Back to the band, and being all things.  Being the front man in a band gives me many opportunities to interact with people I normally wouldn't see or meet.  I've had some pretty wonderful, and sometimes colorful conversations with people over the years.  I've wondered several times why I do it.  Is it something I'm supposed to be doing?  Is it worth the time and effort I put into it?  More than likely I'll still wonder tomorrow as well, but for now ... for a short 24 hour period of time ... I wonder if that's my way to be all things to all people so that some might be saved?

Think about it ... when was the last time you invited your bar visiting, beer drinking, line dancing friend to church?  Did they accept the invite?  I'll admit I've never extended that invite.  I guess it's due to a fear of rejection, figuring they'd say no.  However, it's easy, and less fearful, for me to take the 'church' to a bar, or restaurant, or pub, or anywhere else I play music.  That I can do.  Does that mean I stand up at my microphone and preach, or sneak sermons into songs?  No, but have I become more relatable?  Have I met someone on their level?  Have I taken the church building out of the picture, creating a more comfortable atmosphere to do the work of the church?  I don't know ... time will tell.

1 Comments:

Blogger Edward Sans Gillies said...

My sentiments exactly. Great article!

Thu Dec 02, 12:04:00 PM 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home