Wednesday, December 08, 2010

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.  Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ "
Matthew 25:35-40

When was the last time you helped someone?  What did it cost you?  You see, I feel there are different levels of help, just like there are different levels of love, or fear.  I love Moose Tracks ice cream, but not like I love my wife, or family.  I'm afraid if I keep eating Moose Tracks I'll gain weight, but that fear is nothing like the fear I had going into each of my surgeries.

Some may argue that helping people includes giving someone who is lost directions to the mall, or letting someone with their blinker on change lanes in front of you.  This is such a big deal in our society that if you do that, and don't get the 'thank you wave', you probably start talking to yourself (or maybe that's just me).  I'll agree, those are all one form of helping someone ... but what would it cost you to do those things?  20 seconds of time?  Sitting through one more red light?

We just celebrated Thanksgiving a few weeks ago.  Christmas is next.  If I were a betting man I'd say there is no other time where people feel more generous and willing to help others than the final five or six weeks of the calendar year.  So what do you have planned?  What can you do with your spouse, or kids, or siblings, or best friend to help someone?  A friend of mine and her husband stopped on the side of the road the other day to help a homeless woman.  She was hungry, and they gave her money to buy food.  As they drove off they saw the woman in their rear view mirror looking up ... I assume towards Heaven ... crying a thankful cry.  Another friend of mine volunteers her time at a local women's shelter.   

In seven days I'm teaming up with 15 volunteers to give a group of 60 homeless Veterans a Christmas party.  I was fortunate enough to be part of it last year, and couldn't wait to do it again this year.  Want to know what it cost for me to participate last year?  Sure, I spent a few dollars on some food.  My wife spent an hour making a dessert.  We invested three hours into the evening itself.  But I don't consider that part of the cost.  What it really cost ... what I really had to give up ... was a little self pity.  A little pride.  A little attention focused toward myself.  I had to consciously take my eyes off of myself, my problems, my bad day, my sore back, my lazy attitude, my lack of initiative and desire and interest, and focus on someone else.

I don't know how to put a value on pity, or pride, or problems.  I also don't know how to put a value on a teary eyed Veteran ... a man who served our country, and has no home to call his own ... giving my wife and I a hug (and I mean a HUG), thanking us, and inviting us back to have Christmas dinner with he and the guys.  Getting out of my comfort zone and serving those guys cost me something.  What I received back however was more than worth the investment.  After all, I got to serve Jesus dinner that night too. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home