"And me? I pray. God, it's time for a break."
Psalm 69:13 The Message
I've been following Christ now for 21 years. Most of my Bible reading in that 21 years has been spent in the book of Psalms. I don't know if it's the musician in me, or the fact that I've always seemed to relate to David, the author of most of them, but what I've learned from them has always felt so relevant to my life.
In Psalm 69, David spends the first 12 verses explaining how despondent he feels, and describing what others are doing to him. The Message version has some pretty vivid descriptions of these acts. Then verse 13 comes along and changes the tone of the entire chapter. For those who have read and studied about David, he endured some pretty difficult and challenging times. Some of that was due to his own bad decision making. Some of it was just and unfair luck of the draw. He shares with us his secret in this passage ... his secret for being able to endure, and continue to move forward, in spite of what others are saying about him or doing to him.
"I pray."
Do you see it? Did it hit you like it hit me ... like a baseball bat to the head? He prays. It's such a simple word isn't it? Four letters ... p - r - a - y. It's simple but how often do you do it? If you're anything like me, not often enough. The Bible has a passage in the New Testament that says to pray without ceasing. So like I was saying, I probably don't pray enough.
Let me simplify that two word, five letter sentence even more, because I know how the word 'pray' or 'prayer' can freak some people out. If you don't believe me, go up to ten strangers and ask them if you can pray for them. For the purpose of this discussion, lets replace the word 'pray' with another four letter word ... talk.
Talking is easy. Most of us do it every day, even if it's to ourselves. My prayer life changed for the better when I realized that I just need to talk to God like I'd talk to any other friend. I didn't have to say the right words, or go through the Pentecostal sermon of "6 Steps To Powerful Prayer" in order for God to hear my voice. Besides, knowing me I'd forget two or three steps anyway, and where would that leave me? But talking? Anyone who knows me knows I can talk. So God and I talk every day, some days more than others, but we talk every day. I tell Him how I'm feeling, what's bothering me, about all things good and bad. Some days I don't really know what to say so I just sit and listen. That used to very tough for me, but I've learned the skill of resting, and waiting on Him. I'm not great at it, but I'm much better at it than I used to be.
Talking with God has to be a two way conversation. I'm convinced of that. It can't be you showing up in a crisis situation, telling Him what you'll "never do again" if He gets you out of (fill in the blank). Talking with God can't be you sharing a laundry list of requests, wants, and desires. He already knows what you want. He knows your thoughts. He can complete your sentences ... like a spouse, or a best friend ... so talk to Him like you would your best friend.
There's a country song titled "Life Happened". It tells the story of people meeting up at a high school reunion, sharing and reminiscing, only to find out that folks didn't do what others thought they'd do. After each person told their story, the chorus, and story, would end with 'life happened'. Maybe life has happened to you. Maybe things haven't turned out like you thought they would. Join the club. It's an elite club though ... after all, King David is one of the founding members. God wants to give you a break, but more than that He wants to be your friend. If you've never talked to Him, start today. He's longing to talk with you.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home