The Perfect Life
I had the opportunity to share the 20 minute version of my testimony last night with a group of people taking part in a recovery program. The stuff these people are dealing with ranges from alcohol and drug addiction, to co-dependency, to depression. Any time I get the opportunity to tell anyone what God has done for me, I try to take it. Over the years there have been times where I've been afraid to, because of what my someone might think or say. I'd like to think that I've gotten over that. Last night was another step towards doing so if I haven't.
While sharing I mentioned how I quit trying to live the perfect life a few years ago. That statement drew quite a reaction from the 50 or so people I was talking to. I think it did so because everyone can relate to that. We all have tried to be 'perfect' ... we've tried to make ourselves look better ... or act better ... or do better ... based on our own perfection scale. If you grew up like I did there were certain standards you were expected to maintain. We've all been there at some point in our life. And we've all failed.
Jesus lived the perfect life. He's the only one who has succeeded. I don't know how he did it. I can barely go a few hours on some days without screwing up, and yet he lived a sinless life for 33 years. Sure, he was God, I know that. But he also faced all the same temptations that I face.
Here's the good news: Jesus did it all for you ... and me. The Bible says we are made perfect "through Him." God doesn't expect perfection from you. He does, however, expect you to trust Him, to follow Him, to lean on Him during the tough times, and to acknowledge Him during the good times. Don't worry about perfection. You'll never attain it. Ask Jesus into your heart, and just be the best you that you can be. God bless you.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home