"Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear."
James 1:19, The Message
I've been enjoying The Message version of the Bible lately, and the verse above is another example of how plainly it breaks down the word of God. It's a classic verse that you'd know in other versions as 'be slow to anger, slow to speak, and quick to listen'.
"Lead with your ears".
The best communicators I know are the best listeners. There have been countless times in my life where I needed to talk to someone ... I didn't need advice, or counsel, or a 5 step plan, or a new road map, or a strategy ... I just needed to talk. Over the years I've been fortunate to have people in my life at various times who were wonderful listeners. People who let me talk through the issue myself, and work through it on my own, but who were 'supportively' listening to me as I did.
"Follow up with your tongue".
Every good conversation needs a talker too. God knows how I live up to that statement. On more than one occasion I've been told I talk too much, or too long, or don't get to the point quick enough. Every once in a while I may agree with that assessment. However, the world needs good communicators, and good story tellers, and as long as it does, I'm going to make myself available! (smile). I'll do so because of this: on more than one occasion I've been able to make a difference in the life of another person by telling a story, or by talking with them, or by sharing in their struggle by sharing part of mine with them. I don't know if I'm a big fan of sympathy, but I'm definitely a fan of empathy, and I'm quick to empathize with anyone who is dealing with a difficult situation or a challenging time in life, and equally as quick to let them know that they are not alone by sharing with them some of what I've gone through.
"Let anger straggle along in the rear".
Uh oh. How did this sentence make it into one of my blogs? If you know me well, you know at times I can be angry. As in mean angry. Maybe even obnoxiously angry. More times than not my anger is directed towards myself or a situation, and rarely at another person. Regardless I know that I've fallen short many, many times in living up to the verse 'be angry but sin not'.
Thankfully James gives us the recipe for avoiding such times. When something happens, or when something is said to you (you also means me) that requires a reaction, start by saying and doing nothing. Just listen. Listen to what the other person might be saying. And listen completely ... to everything they are saying. When you're done listening, then you're allowed to speak, but only respectful, productive, encouraging, edifying words. Leave the angry, destructive, hurtful words behind.
If you haven't learned this yet, one day you will ... the most important part of life is what you're able to do for others. Treasure your relationships. Invest in them. It's easy to make a difference in the life of another person ... just listen.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home