The Great Physician:
Jesus referred to himself as physician twice:
Luke 4:23: And He said to them, “No doubt you will quote this proverb to Me, ‘Physician, heal yourself!”
Matt. 9:12-13: But when He heard this, He said, “It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. But go and learn what this means, I desire compassion, and not sacrifice, for I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”
The word used for physician in Greek was iatros, derived from iaomai, which refers to spiritual as well as physical healing (similar to the concept of shalom or rapha). Jesus was undoubtedly using the word “physician” to refer both to the spiritual and physical aspects of healing that He commanded.
The above was copied from the following website:
http://www.urmccf.org/topics/Health%20Bible%20Study/C%20-%20Jesus.htmI believe I'm in a place where I need a spiritual healing. I've been struggling lately with my identity as it relates to Jesus, and his work on the cross, and why he would do that for someone like me. I've been battling with the abstract concept of peace, and trying to figure it out. I've been dealing with a void ... a void I can't really explain. In the midst of all this I've had some ups and downs. Some all too familiar pain is recurring in my lower back and legs. After what I've gone through with lower back and leg pain and five surgeries, it's not something that I'm excited about. Half of my band Fall Creek moved away which led to a pseudo break-up of the band. I had started a second band before that happened to focus on some different music, but letting go of something that I built and nurtured for five years was not an easy thing. However God has blessed me recently too. I left my job to work for myself. I've been contracted by two cities for some pretty cool projects that will hopefully be financially rewarding. Speaking of financial rewards, at a follow-up visit to my surgeon today I was blessed beyond belief. As I was checking out, a woman I had never seen before as the gal at the desk to get up from her computer for a minute. She sat down, punched a few buttons, looked up at me and told me that my account balance was "zero'd out." I walked in owing over $2500 from my surgery last May. I walked out owing nothing. That is such a weight off of my shoulders. I told her if I could jump up and down I would, but instead "I think I'll just cry."
I've learned that blessings don't necessarily mean that the battle is over. Things like that certainly boost our faith in God, which helps us get through the next battle ... and trust me ... there will be another battle, and another, and another. I can't help but to think of the lyric of a song that I wrote about a few weeks back ...
This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow
It used to be easy to get excited during the "harvest" times of life. I treat them differently now. I feel very blessed, but I try not to let temporary emotions or feelings of any kind control my day ... or days. Notice I said I try ... and I do, but I'm not very good at it yet. I'm getting better by the grace of God, but still have a long way to go. It helps to know that I'm filled for a purpose ... so that I have something to give others.
Where I get tripped up is thinking that the "fill up" is supposed to come from people and not God. The identity making, peace giving, void filling God. Good night and God bless you.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home