Thursday, April 14, 2011

So I'm still trying to figure out God's peace.  I wrote about it a week or so ago, and told you that it would take more than one blog to dig into it.  Here's Part II.

The word "peace" is used 429 times in the King James Version of the Bible (according to wiki answers).  That's a lot of times.  I would have been impressed if it was used 100 times ... amazed if it was used 200 times ... but 429?  I guess that must mean it's an important concept to God.  If it's important to God then it should be important to us.  So why does it seem so elusive to me, and maybe to you?

I had an interview of sorts today.  As a design consultant I'm sometimes contacted by cities, counties, and townships to perform design/engineering services for them.  Last Wednesday I was contacted by a former client who's interested in hiring me to provide design services for the city he works for.  Calls like that don't come by too often, so obviously I was very excited.  Well ... I was excited until my mind started taking over. 

The first thing that crept in was the fact that I had to quit my 'job.'  I've been working part time at a local engineering firm since mid January.  That experience didn't quite work out the way I had hoped it would.  Instead of getting more hours over time I got less ... as in zero over the past three weeks.  Having to tell them that I'd be leaving was stressful ... not off the chart, but stressful nonetheless.  Then I had to write a proposal explaining what services I'd be providing for my potential client.  I've written no less than 100 proposals over the past 10 years, but it's still always a stressful exercise.  Then there was the actual interview.  I'm always fine once I'm there and the conversation starts, but the 90 minute drive there left a lot of time to think about all the "what if's" and "what abouts".  Regardless of how I felt driving there, the meeting couldn't have gone better.  I find out whether or not I get the contract next Wednesday.

So let me summarize the past few days: they called me ... I had to write a proposal (the key word being write ... something I love to do and am pretty good at) ... and I had to go talk with them to discuss the details of the proposal (key word being talk, something else I'm pretty good at).  So why the stress?  Why the lack of peace?  Here's one simple explanation:  the master of deceit and lies loves to knock us down any chance he gets.  He loves to use doubt as tool to cause us to ... well ... doubt ourselves.  Doubt breads worry ... worry leads to stressing out ... stressing out annihilates peace.  Hindsight always brings the answer to light: peace is brought about as a result of trusting God.  I either trust Him or I don't ... it's that simple.  If I trust Him, then I know that he has my back.  I want to believe that it's really that simple.  Well see if this requires a Part III.  God night and God bless.

2 Comments:

Blogger brentenb said...

Love it! The job is yours or a better one is coming, in Jesus' Name. So now just "Peace, be still" and learn to sleep on your pillow, like Jesus did, in the middle of the storm.

Thu Apr 14, 10:48:00 PM 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...

ditto to what brenten said. good blog! I needed to hear that too.

Fri Apr 15, 10:16:00 AM 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home