Monday, March 28, 2011

It takes a lot to trust somebody doesn't it?  It does for me.  I think I may have been a bit more trusting in the past, but I've had too many people promise me too many things only to end up not delivering (as in they never even intended to deliver ... not just that they tried and fell short) on those promise.  I wonder how many promises I've broken in my life?  How many people could say the same thing about me?  How many times have I damaged the faith and belief in other people for other people?

There are a handful of people in my life that I can trust with anything.  I can be myself around them ... I can say what's on my mind ... I can make mistakes ... anything, and they'll still be there for me.  I can count on them if I need something, or someone.  The trust I have in them was earned by them.  It wasn't something that I just handed over ... they earned it.  There have been many others who also earned my trust but unfortunately they lost it just as easily.  I hate when that happens.  I hate losing faith in someone because of something they did, but it happens.

Have you ever lost faith in God?  Maybe you never had a faith in a higher power to begin with, so that may be an irrelevant question in your opinion.  If you don't believe in something greater than yourself, I feel bad for you.  You should too, and if you don't, walk away from your computer and go look in the mirror.  Seriously ... is that the person you're going to rely to make sure the rest of your life goes well?  Is that the person you're going to rely on for eternity?  Really?

For the sake of my blog, lets assume you believe in God.  Has he ever let you down?  Has he ever failed you?  Let me answer that for you ... no.  Now you might think because you didn't get the job you wanted, or you're not driving the car you'd like to drive, or your 401k balance isn't as big as you'd like it to be that God let you down.  You might think He let you down because you lost a parent too early, or a child was killed at a young age, or someone you know who has never harmed a soul was just diagnosed with cancer.  Isn't that just cause to be upset with God?  Isn't that enough to convict Him of letting you down?  Let me answer again ... no.

Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior wasn't a free pass to a perfect, trouble free life.  Actually there is probably more evidence in the Bible that proves the exact opposite.  Just as you're life was bought with a price when Jesus hung on that cross, life as a Christian comes at a price too.  Now if you live in the western world, the toughest price you'll pay is maybe being picked on or ridiculed by someone because you're a Jesus freak.  Others around the world are being murdered because they trust in Jesus.  Let's get back to the question ... has God let you down?  Has God ever done anything to cause you to lose your trust in Him?  One more time, I'll answer that for you ... no.  Circumstances may not always work in your favor, but God always does ... he just has his own 'work' speed.

A worship leader/songwriter named Lincoln Brewster sings a song called "Today is the Day."  The chorus goes:

Today is the day You have made
I will rejoice and be glad in it.
I won't worry about tomorrow,
I've given you my fear and sorrow,
where you lead me I will follow,
I'm trusting in what you say ... today is the day.

Despite what you're going through (and trust me, I know things are tough ... I'm dealing with some very tough and challenging times right now), are you going to trust him?  Can you rejoice during the tough times?  Can you truly quit worrying about tomorrow, and not give in to fear?  Whatever path God takes you down can you really follow him, even if it doesn't look safe, or promising at the onset?  I hope you can, because that's what it will take to get through this life.  I know these may be tough words but it's the truth.  You have to trust in what God has told you; you have to trust where He's been leading you.  The only alternative is to trust that person in the mirror.  I don't know about you, but that person is who got me here in the first place, and from what I remember he's not omniscient, omnipotent, or omnipresent.  He's also quite the goofball at times.  Good night and God bless you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

being in the midst of a struggle, that was an encouraging post today. thanks!

Tue Mar 29, 08:09:00 AM 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home