This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the LORD. Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have.
This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
Jeremiah 29:4-14, New International Version
Welcome back to Part II of my look at Jeremiah 29:4-14. I wrapped up yesterday's blog discussing Judah's exile to Babylon. They were uber disobedient towards God, so in order to get their attention, he let a neighboring king destroy their home ... Jerusalem. I was comparing their exile (being forced from your home due to certain circumstances) to how I've felt the past few years. I lost the ability to engage in many of the physical activities I use to enjoy in life. I lost my job and consequently a 16 year career. I lost part of who I am while dealing with and working to overcome depression and anxiety. I lost much of the joy I used to experience in life, and even hope to a certain extent. Like the people of Judah I feel separated from what I once knew ... the familiar and the comfortable ... 'home.' God directed the Judean's to carry on with life as usual while in exile, and I feel as though that's what He's instructed me to do ... at least I do after reading these verses yesterday. Let's look at the middle part of the passage.
"Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile." I guess I never thought about something like that being important. I suppose they didn't either, which is why God gave them specific instructions regarding it. Here they are living in a strange city in a foreign land, being ruled by a king who destroyed their city, and God is asking them to pray for peace and prosperity for the king's city! I guess it's not a huge surprise, since many times throughout the Bible we're told to pray for our enemies. Maybe it's just how this statement was worded that caught my attention. You see, for the past several months I've been looking for jobs in other cities and states, actually praying for God to get us out of this 'God forsaken' place called Michigan. It's not that I don't love the state, but after 10 months I haven't been able to find a job here. It just gets discouraging after awhile. After reading these verses maybe I've been going about it all wrong. Even though God cast Judah into exile, it was only temporary. Because it was just a temporary thing, He encouraged them to carry on as they normally would, and just like they did back in Jerusalem, to pray for their new city ... and their neighbors ... and the merchants ... and the city leaders and politicians. Pray for peace in your city, and for prosperity so that you too will prosper. Sounds like God's way of saying "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." I love at how God jammed so many principles in that one verse ... things like "love your neighbor as yourself", "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", "pray for your enemies, and if they're thirsty, give them something to drink", and the biggie ... "you reap what you sow." Maybe instead of complaining, and spending time trying to figure out how to get away from here, God's calling me to pray for my city, and those who live here. Maybe that's the key to feeling and being prosperous again.
He goes on to warn Judah about the naysayers, and the false prophets. We all have them in life. We've all encountered the people who are either negative about everything, and can't seem to find even the dimmest light at the end of the tunnel, or we've encountered those who think God has told them everything we're supposed to do. I understand that God works in and through those around me, but I also know that if He wants to tell me something, He'll just tell me.
Dear God, thank you so much for opening up the wisdom of this chapter to me. For some reason I knew there had to be more to it than just verse 11. I love how you speak to me, and want to ask you to please forgive my selfishness in only praying for me, and for you to get me out of here. I'll start praying for my city now. I love you God. Amen.


1 Comments:
You might like to know that you're the only other person to have written "I feel separated from what I once knew", the other being the sludge group ZED in the song No Past. You might relate.....
I feel separated from what I once knew
Was that really me? I know it was not you
The decisions made were not made by me
What you became - who could foresee?
Did I imagine you? Who were you anyway?
To feel your hate locked so far away
You are the cause of your own suffering
Wearing disguises in place of what you could be
You're not worth my thoughts
You're not worth my feelings
But I still feel the effects
It's never ending
The past degrades into memory
And all that occurred is slowly fading
It seems foolish that I ever even tried
All that happened could be denied
Viewed as someone else's life in a long forgotten time
Leave me with no past more true than what exists
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home