Saturday, March 05, 2011

"If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love."
1 Corinthians 13:1-3, The Message

I can't tell you how many times I've read the verse above.  I could conservatively estimate it at twenty ... maybe more.  It never ceases to amaze me how we can read something again, maybe for the twenty first time, and how it can seem so new and fresh to us.  I guess that's how God works.  I'm thankful He works that way.

So we can do it all ... right?  We can do the right thing, and say the right thing, and be the right thing ... if we do it without love as the motive, it's all worthless.  I can write all the devotionals I want to; if I do it without love, they are nothing but empty words.  I can donate time and resources to the best of causes, but it will mean nothing if I don't share sincere love as well.

When I woke up today this chapter in 1 Corinthians was on my mind.  It was on my mind as I fell asleep last night as well.  Maybe it's because I spent a few hours last night hanging out with my wife, and one of our nieces ... I can't think of two people I'd rather spend time with.  The particular niece that we were with is very close to us ... she's like the daughter I never had.  I love her.  I'd do anything for her, anything to protect her, anything to help her, anything ... not just because it's what an uncle should do, but because I love her, and want to do things for her.  She knows it too.  Not in a manipulative way by any means ... she's got the sweetest spirit about her, but she knows that I love her.  I think it gives her a sense of comfort at times.  It gives me the feeling that I did something right along the way with her.  Is she perfect?  No.  Am I?  Gosh no, but what we do for and with each other is always done with love.

I want to end with verses 4-7 of chapter 13.  As much as I love my wife ... and my niece ... and my family ... and others ... I can't read down this list, and feel like I could check all of them off.  I know I'm not that good.  It was good however to read it again this morning.  It's good to look at the standard of all standards of love ... God ... and look at where I can improve.  You see, even though I'm not that good, God is, and he just happens to be the same God who dwells within me.  I'd encourage you to read through the list too.  Maybe you'll discover something you can improve upon.  Enjoy your day.  God bless you.

   Love never gives up.
   Love cares more for others than for self.
   Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
   Love doesn't strut,
   Doesn't have a swelled head,
   Doesn't force itself on others,
   Isn't always "me first,"
   Doesn't fly off the handle,
   Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
   Doesn't revel when others grovel,
   Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
   Puts up with anything,
   Trusts God always,
   Always looks for the best,
   Never looks back,
   But keeps going to the end.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7, The Message

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home