Random Thoughts of Thankfulness
I was driving down the road today, headed to Rite Aid to purchase a box of envelopes, when I passed a car loaded down with people. It caught my eye because of how miserable the people in the back seat looked. I think I've mentioned it before ... I have a rather large 'personal space' bubble. Not too many make it inside the bubble, so to see those folks packed in the back seat of the car ... well ... it gave me chills. I suppose in retrospect one could assume they're all best buddies, and have previously invaded each others personal space. One could assume that. I didn't. In addition to the car being loaded to the point of almost dragging bottom, it wasn't in very good shape. It was a rather beat up looking car. That also caught my attention because it's been many years since I've had a beat up car. Before you begin to judge me, let me tell you ... I had A LOT of beat up, $800 cars. Just ask my wife ... or my mother. I think at one point early in our marriage I bought three or four cars in a year. I owned 12 or 13 cars before I turned 24 years old. Every one has their 'thing' ... mine is driving a nice, clean car.
So after processing all of that in about two seconds while passing their car, I said out loud "thank you God for my car" ... and I meant it. I'm thankful every time I get into it, and when it starts, and when it shifts smoothly, and especially when it stops. I'm even more thankful when I get into our other car ... I LOVE that car. Yep ... I said it ... I love it!
After thanking God for my car, I started thinking of other things to be thankful for ...
... I'm thankful for my salvation, because without it, life would be pointless.
... I'm thankful for the Holy Spirit that dwells inside of me.
... I'm thankful for my wife for like a jillion reasons.
... I'm thankful for my family, who love me no matter what I do.
... I'm thankful for the great friends that God has put in my life.
... I'm thankful for my furnace that heats my house.
... I'm thankful for the Board of Water & Light for distributing water and electricity to my house.
... I'm thankful for my house.
... I'm thankful for my wife's job.
... I'm thankful that we still live in our house.
... I'm thankful I can walk on a treadmill.
... I'm thankful I can ride a bike.
... I'm thankful for the food in my house.
... I'm thankful for the money in my bank account.
... I'm thankful for the balance in my 401k.
... I'm thankful for my guitar amp ... um ... make that amps.
... I'm thankful for my guitar.
... I'm thankful for my other two guitars.
... I'm thankful that I have a really cool sound system.
... I'm thankful for the opportunity to sing and play music.
... I'm thankful that for now, I live in a country where I can worship God freely and unhindered.
... I'm thankful for my church, and the work it does in Lansing and around the world.
... I'm thankful for my blog.
... I'm thankful for country music ... and Nashville.
... I'm thankful for flannel shirts.
... I'm thankful for Ariat boots.
... I'm thankful for Gap jeans.
... I'm thankful for any t-shirt ... love t-shirts.
... I'm thankful for attention deficit disorder.
... I'm thankful for struggles.
... I'm thankful for the capacity to think, and reason.
... get the picture.
As for a verse ... maybe you can look one up. You can't swing a dead cat in the New Testament without hitting a verse or two about being thankful. Read any book that Paul wrote ... you'll see it.
God bless you, and good night.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home