"If an enemy were insulting me,
I could endure it;
if a foe were rising against me,
I could hide.
But it is you, a man like myself,
my companion, my close friend,
with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship
at the house of God,
as we walked about among the worshipers."
Psalm 55:12-14
Why is it that we hurt those closest to us? I've been on both the sending and receiving end of that hurt. I've said things to people that I wish with all my heart I could have taken back. Things that were just stupid, inconsiderate, and manipulative. That's the thing about the spoken word though ... once it's out, it's out. I've also had things said to me that I wish I'd never heard. People who are close to me, with all the best intentions, have said some of the most cutting comments to me. Why do we do that?
On the other hand, if I don't like you, or if you've said or done something to someone I love and care about ... me included ... I can verbally rip you to shreds without a second thought. I'll feel various degrees of remorse later, but after all, if you attack me or someone I love, we're "foes" right. Conversely, if someone doesn't like me, I'd almost expect them at some point in time to say something mean or cruel. As the verse above states, that's easier to handle. It's easier because we're not as close to people like that. We're not emotionally attached. What they say or do to us is easier to "endure".
So what's the lesson here Joe? Isn't this where you tell us a story about how someone you know and care about insulted you? Isn't it time to tie this in to another scripture that teaches us to love our neighbor, and to treat them the way we'd like to be treated? Actually ... no ... it isn't. You see, treating others the way we're supposed to isn't some thing new. It's not a new concept on decency and friendship. We all know that's what we need to do.
David explains very clearly how much it hurt to be betrayed by someone so close to him. That's the lesson. That's the reminder to myself as I read this ... to remember how much it hurts to be treated poorly, to be lied about, to be taken for granted ... and as a result, to never treat anyone else that way. That should be enough to chew on until tomorrow. God bless you, and good night.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home