This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the LORD. Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have.
This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
Jeremiah 29:4-14, New International Version
Let me begin by saying that these particular verses will not be covered ... cannot be covered ... in one blog. Verse 11, the famous "I know the plans I have for you" verse has been preached on, quoted, written about, and referenced hundreds of different ways. I was thinking about that verse over the past few days, so I looked it up to refresh my memory. What I read before and after it however caught my attention ... lucky you eh? Here goes nothing ...
Allow me to begin by quoting an introduction to a study of the book of Jeremiah, which can be found by clicking here.
The Book of Jeremiah combines history, biography, and prophecy. It portrays a nation in crisis and introduces the reader to an extraordinary leader upon whom the Lord placed the heavy burden of the prophetic office. Jeremiah was born about 650 B.C. of a priestly family from the little village of Anathoth, near Jerusalem. While still very young he was called to his task in the thirteenth year of King Josiah (628), whose reform, begun with enthusiasm and hope, ended with his death on the battlefield of Megiddo (609) as he attempted to stop the northward march of the Egyptian Pharaoh Neco.
The prophet heartily supported the reform of the pious King Josiah, which began in 629 B.C. Nineveh, the capital of Assyria, fell in 612, preparing the way for the new colossus, Babylon, which was soon to put an end to Judean independence.
After the death of Josiah the old idolatry returned. Jeremiah opposed it with all his strength. Arrest, imprisonment, and public disgrace were his lot. Jeremiah saw in the nation's impenitence the sealing of its doom. Nebuchadnezzar captured Jerusalem and carried King Jehoiachin into exile (Jeremiah 22:24).
During the years 598-587, Jeremiah attempted to counsel Zedekiah in the face of bitter opposition. The false prophet Hananiah proclaimed that the yoke of Babylon was broken and a strong pro-Egyptian party in Jerusalem induced Zedekiah to revolt. Nebuchadnezzar took swift and terrible vengeance; Jerusalem was destroyed in 587 and its leading citizens sent into exile.
Jeremiah did his best to warn Judah about God's coming wrath. All he got out of that was a prison sentence. God allowed King Nebuchadnezzar to capture Jerusalem, leading to Judah's exile into Babylon. (note: for those new to Old Testament history, Judah was one of the twelve tribes of Israel, and is the name used to describe those living in and around Jerusalem). Jerusalem was home to the Judean's; Babylon was not. God knew that, but He also knew that something had to be done to get their attention. He was tired of their idol worship. He was tired of how they allowed false prophets to influence them. For several years God gave them the silent treatment ... that didn't work either. They wouldn't change their sinful ways, so they were forced from their home.
Even so, God still tried to help them. He instructed Jeremiah to tell them while they were in exile, which was going to last 70 years, they were to carry out normal lives ... build houses, plant crops, get married, and have kids. Why? All I can think of is "when in Rome, do as the Romans." In other words, make the best of where you're at. Dictionary dot com has several definitions for the word exile, one being prolonged separation from one's country or home, as by force of circumstances. I feel like I was sort of exiled from my life a few years ago. Two years ago this coming May ... May 19 to be exact ... I feel my life took a turn. For the worse? In some ways. I've certainly had my share of battles over the past two years. For the better? Definitely better in some ways as well, but I feel like I'm living some other life, like the circumstances of life separated me from my home so to speak.
That's a fair enough analogy I suppose. However, if I'm going to compare the circumstances of my life to the Judean's, maybe I need to follow the same instructions God gave them ... carry on as usual, and make the best of where I'm at. Dear God, please don't let it last 70 years. See you tomorrow for Part II. Amen.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home