Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Lord, you do everything for me."
Psalm 138:8

I encourage you to read Psalm 138 in its entirety so you can read the first half of verse 8 in context with the rest of the chapter.  I however, can't focus on dissecting the entire Psalm, but I'm confident that I can do okay with six words.

It's pretty easy to list all that God has done for me: everything.  Isn't it wonderful when God's word is so simple to understand?  I admit I get a little lost when Jesus speaks in parables.  The way Paul speaks at times can be confusing at best.  On the other hand, when David wrote "Lord, you do everything for me", it didn't take me long to wrap my brain around that statement.

I came to know Jesus after a relationship I was in went bad.  I thought about what to do, but couldn't really come up with a solution to the pain I was feeling on my own, so on the advice of a friend, I turned my life over to God.  Well ... let's be honest ... I recited the sinners prayer, asking Jesus to save me and to forgive me.  As for turning my life over to him ... I'm still figuring out how to do that.  Anyway, by saying one prayer my life was changed.  God saved me, and if that's all He ever did for me, then I could boldly say that He's done everything for me.  He didn't stop there though.

By God's grace I was able to quit stuttering.  Stuttering is something I find difficult to explain to others.  If you haven't lived with the condition, or lived with someone who stutters, it's very hard to understand the emotional pain and embarrassment that not being able to talk fluently can cause.  There is no known cure for stuttering ... no pill ... surgery ... therapy ... nothing.  There is a known 'curer' though ... Jesus.  I may get caught up now and then, but I stutter about 99.9% less than I did as a child.  I prayed, believed, and God healed me.  Not stuttering any more means everything to me.

God gave me a second chance at getting a college education.  When I first enrolled at Michigan State University I was pretty young.  I moved in to my dorm room just days after turning 18.  I flunked out of MSU four months after turning 19.  I won't get into all of the details as to why, but looking back it certainly took hatd work to get grades that bad!  Two years later I applied for re-admission to the University.  Part of the re-application  requirement was to write a short essay explaining why I felt I was now ready to handle the pressures of a Big Ten university.  I wrote about one thing: how God had changed my life.  A few weeks later I was notified that my application was accepted.  At the time, having the chance to complete my college education meant everything to me.

God saved me, healed me, and gave me one of many second chances.  He blessed me with great parents.  He's given me struggles to help build my character.  He's given me disappointments to help me understand His mercies are new every morning.  He's given me the opportunity to sing, and make music, and to minister to others doing what I love to do.  He's given me a dog, a car, a home, a t.v. ... every "thing" I have is a gift from God.

Have you given your life over to him?  Have you even considered it?  If I were you, I'd get that taken care of right now, before you do another thing.  Let God adopt you into his family ... it will be the greatest everything that anyone could ever give you.  God bless you, and good night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

He's done EVERYTHING for me too Joe. I love this blog today. It really touched me. Thank you for saying it so well.

Fri Mar 11, 09:50:00 AM 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home