This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: “Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.” They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the LORD. Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have.
This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”
Jeremiah 29:4-14, New International Version
Welcome to Part IV of my look into Jeremiah, chapter 29. I'm so glad that I took the time to really think about these verses, and meditate on them. It's been very rewarding for me, and I hope it's been rewarding for you as well.
To quickly recap, chapter 29 shows us how Judah, one of the twelve tribes of Israel, was disobedient to God, and subsequently exiled into Babylon. Even in his wrath, God showed them that He was still with them, explaining the the exile will last for a period of 70 years. At the end of that 70 years, God was going to bring them home, and bless them, according to His plan for them. Home was Jerusalem. The gathering of His people from "all the nations" sounds to me like a prophecy of the formation of Israel as a country. Hmm ... Just a thought. Shall we continue?
So the last few verses left begin with God explaining how He will once again hear Judah's prayers, and answer them. He promises that they will find Him if they seek Him with all of their heart. I feel for me to come up with a good explanation of these verses is way over my head. The reason God answers some prayers, and doesn't seem to answer others has boggled my mind for years. Why I seem to feel His presence so strongly at times, and not at all during other times in life has repeatedly left me confused, yet that's exactly what these verses are talking about. I guess I'm not the only one who has experienced a quiet God. Judah knows the feeling as well.
It's the word "then" that makes me feel that God was telling them in advance that for their 70 years in exile He was going to ignore their prayers. At the end of the 70 years, He was going to bring them back from the place of exile, then they could pray, and He would hear them. Does that make sense? Is it just me? I don't know ... it seems to make sense. Maybe because I've wondered at times if God is listening. Maybe because I've felt exiled, or displaced, at times. Why does God seem distant, or silent, during our most challenging times? Again, it could just be me, but as I was talking with someone about this yesterday, we both realized and admitted that if things were great all the time ... if life never dealt us a low blow ... if we never struggled ... we'd probably have, or show little need for God.
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart. I will be found by you." I'm not sure where to begin with this verse. I'm sure countless sermons have been preached on this subject. If so, how can I sum it up in one paragraph? I'm one who feels a good sermon can stand on it's own. A good sermon doesn't need a skit, or a song, or a stage prop to drive the message home. After reading this verse several times over the past four days, I've come to the conclusion that it can stand on its own as well. There's no parable here. No mystery. No secret God code. It's pretty straight forward ... if you seek God with all of your heart, you'll find Him. The he punctuates it by saying again, "I will be found by you." I guess that means that half-hearted attempts will be unsuccessful.
Dear God ... I can't even count the number of half-hearted attempts I've made over the years to find you. Many times there was no attempt at all. That's when I thought things were going well. I guess I just figured that I was so blessed that I didn't need to stay in touch. I'm sorry. I am truly, truly sorry. I know in my life, when I don't get to talk to or see someone I really care about for an extended time, I miss them. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. I pray that would be true from now on in my relationship with you. Don't let me get complacent ... even if it means getting quiet from time to time. Amen.
Good night, and God bless you.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home