Sometimes you have to escape the familiar to see things in a different light. I've learned that the comfortable routines that can manifest in our everyday lives can work to blind our vision of some of life's most special moments, as well as the people both friend and stranger, who help to create them. Those routines can also shield us from a society full of sad, hurting, and desperate people ... people who may need to see things in a different light as well ... one provided by the Light of the World himself ... Jesus.
I shared yesterday how important the relationship with my niece is to me. There is nothing in the world that could ever cause me to forget the importance of her presence in my life, but to be able to spend a few days with her has been a pleasant and enjoyable reminder. We've shared many special moments together, and will undoubtedly experience even more.
Last night the three of us spent a few hours taking in the local music scene. We were able to listen to a 15 year old kid - who looked all of twelve - sit in with a band for a set on lead guitar. The kid played like he was literally born with a guitar in his hand. Every move seemed to be instinctive and effortless. The crowd kept looking at each other in disbelief. That kid is special, as special as the time that we spent together listening to him.
As Christ followers hanging out in the live music environment (i.e., bars), we're also witness to the sad and the hurting people around us. Not that everyone who enjoys a night out on the town with friends is hopeless ... just some of them ... and it saddens me to see people act a certain way, or present themselves in a certain way because they are so desperate for attention (uh oh ... I think I may have just exposed another part of my own character ... irked again). You don't have to spend too much time in places like that to realize that people need to look at things 'under' a different Light.
Earlier in the day the three of us had lunch together. Because my niece deals with gluten intolerance, we had to be selective in where we ate. I think that may have been the first time that I went out to eat with her since she was diagnosed three or four years ago. She asked the waitress about the menu, and the possible gluten free choices that she could choose from. The waitress disappeared for a moment only to be replaced by the restaurant owner who sat down at our table and discussed the various options my niece could choose from. That may be a common occurrence for my niece, but I was blown away at the kindness the woman showed toward her, taking ten minutes or so to sit down at our table to help her out. Another special moment.
Ten minutes after that we were joined in this small 'mom and pop' joint by a party of 40 people associated with a youth hockey team. What was going to be a quiet afternoon lunch was now claustrophobic chaos, reinforced by the fact that the kids on the team all chose to sit at the table right next to ours ... all of them. The parents were smart ... they sat across the room where it was somewhat quieter. The food wasn't exactly what we hoped it would be. The environment certainly left little to be desired. What I learned about myself, and at times the intolerance I show towards others, showed me how I need to live under that Light a little more than I have been ... maybe (oops ... did it happen again? Irked .....).
Jesus, you've called me to be the light of the earth. I know ... I haven't always done a very good job of it, especially compared to you. Maybe instead of trying to do a good job on my own ... maybe instead of comparing myself to the job you've done ... I should just let you continue to do what only you can do. You're the master of special moments Jesus. I'll get out of the way now. Amen.


1 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home