"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."
Phillipians 4:12, NIV (emphasis mine)
I don't know how he did it. I mean, I realize he's the Apostle Paul ... if it could be done, he was just the spiritual force the doctor ordered. I guess I don't look at myself in the same light. I feel like I've tried to be content in every situation. I purposely have tried to live a simple life over the past few years, trying not to get caught up in wanting things. I used to think about things a lot ... not anymore. I guess that's one of those life lessons I've learned once and for all: people are more important than things, or stuff. And they are ... but then again I've never had my heart broken by a fishing pole. My guitar is there anytime I need it, especially during the tough times. My iPod will never go silent on me ... as long as I keep it charged :)
People on the other hand, while they're the most important part of life, can do all of that and then some. Some of you might be thinking, "Well Joe, if you didn't give them the power to hurt you, you'd be content." Maybe so, but we are talking about people right? I love my guitar but I'll never love that hunk of thin wood and steel strings as much as I love my wife. I love my fishing poles ... all seven of them ... but they could never take the place of my nieces and nephews. I'd be lost without my iPod ... simply lost ... but that's not even close to the feeling I have when I miss a friend. You see my guitar can't hold me, and my fishing poles can't love me back, and my iPod can't offer a shoulder to cry on. They can't because they're just things ... it has nothing to do with me giving or not giving them the power to affect me. People don't have to be given any "power" ... they're born with it. When I met my wife, fell in love, and asked her to marry me, was that me showing weakness and giving her power? No ... it just happened. She did something, or acted a certain way that attracted me, and it had nothing to do with me giving her permission to do so. When my niece calls me just to talk, or wants to know if she'll see me this weekend, my heart melts. Does it melt because she played a Jedi mind trick on me? No ... it just does. She's shown me over the years how much she loves me and loves being with me, and it has nothing to do with me giving her anything. When I miss a friends company and conversation, do I miss them because I sold myself out, and gave them the power to manipulate me? No ... I simply just miss them. I miss them because of the impact they've had on me, and because of the times they've been there for me and helped me, and it has nothing to do with enabling, or co-dependency, or any other fancy word you want to come up with. It has everything to do with how much I care about them.
I have no book end for this blog. I don't have a magical sentence that can bring it all full circle ... I hope you're not too disappointed. I'm still working on this one myself. God bless.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home