Saturday, June 18, 2011

Psalm 68: 5 says that God will be a father to the fatherless.  Tomorrow is Father's Day here in America.  For most of my life, Father's Day hasn't really meant much to me.  I'm glad it exists ... I have friends who are dads, two brothers who are dads, a step father who's the closest thing I have to a "real" dad ... all people who deserve a special day to be recognized.  I'm not a dad though, and I never really got to know my own biological father, so for the most part, on a personal level, it's one of those days I could do without.

As for me not having kids, that was God's choice.  It certainly wasn't how my wife and I planned it.  We'll never know why, and we quit asking "why?" several years ago.  It's just the way it is I guess.

As for my own dad, I've never had a close relationship with him.  He left when I was 7, was gone for ten years, and ever since then has done nothing but prove that he's still as selfish and self centered as he was when he left us.  I have no idea what it's like to be close to him.  Sadly ... I think ... I have no desire to know what it's like.  You see, to me he's a stranger.  I'm closer to some of my friend's dads than I am him.  It's not that I haven't tried over the past 24 years ... I have.  There's just nothing there.  I never thought about this until a few days ago, but I wonder if the lack of relationship with him ... never really having that true father/son relationship, is why I have very few ... and I mean very few ... strong relationships with other guys?  Maybe I'm thinking too much again, but it's something that crossed my mind as I was thinking about Father's Day approaching, and all the emotions that come with it.  Outside of my two brothers, and a few others, I find it hard to relate to most guys I know in a close, trusting, friendship sort of way.  Not to mention most of them are busy with their own kids.

So when I first heard that God was my heavenly father, it didn't do much for me.  Over the past 21 years of walking with Him though I've learned to embrace him as my father, and my dad.  He's the one I can count on.  He's the one that will never leave me or forsake me.  I can't physically lay my head on his shoulder, or wrap my arms around him, but he's always there for me.  Happy Father's day to God, my Abba Father ... my dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home