Wednesday, June 08, 2011

“Woe to those who quarrel with their Maker, ... Does the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you making?’ Does your work say, ‘The potter has no hands’?"  
Isaiah 45:9, NIV

"Yet you, LORD, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."
Isaiah 64:8, NIV

Are you happy with who you are?  Are you satisfied with where you are at in life?  Have you done things you've wanted to do, or achieved things you've wanted to achieve, or become the person you hoped you'd become?  While I'm pretty good at introspection, and even better at looking at the bad rather than the good, over all I'd have to say I'm happy with who I am.  Sure, there's always room for improvement, but I also realize that life is journey ... not a destination.  Each day I wake up without a white chalk outline around my body is one more day God has to work on me ... to shape me, and form me ... and occasionally put me in the oven ... like a potter molding and shaping a piece of clay.

I have a friend who is a potter.  I just saw a picture a few days ago of a clay soap dish that she made for her sister.  It was quite an impressive piece.  It had a simple but elegant look about it.  Yes ... I'm describing a soap dish, and maybe you think I'm going overboard, but considering what she started with ... a hunk of brownish gray clay ... it looked pretty nice to me.  I'm not sure how long it took her to shape it.  I don't know if it was done after an hour, or a few hours.  Maybe it took a day, or a few days.  I'd have to bet that she spent a certain amount of time during the creative process refining the dish, and changing the look, or shape, or size.  Eventually she reached the point of completion ... which for those of you who are not artists, is the point where you say to yourself, "I could keep refining and refining, but I'm satisfied with how it looks ... for now."

The comparison I'm trying to make is not that God eventually get's to the point of being completed with us.  I mean, He will, but not until Jesus comes back.  That's when we'll be finished.  The point I'm trying to make is that at the end of the day we need to look at ourselves like my friend looked at her soap dish: there's still more for God to do ... more refining and changing ... and there's still more for me to do ... more growing and maturing ... but for now, for today, I'm satisfied with how I look for now.  Tomorrow's a new day, and another day in the journey.  God bless you, and have a wonderful day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home