Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Bible talks a lot about seasons.  About how there is a time for certain things to take place.  Some of those times are referred to as "appointed times."  We can read about how there is a time to laugh and a time to mourn.  A time to reap and a time to sow.  So why would our lives be any different?  Oh ... you already understand that?  What's that you say ... you've understood for a long time that things change and times pass and people come and go?  If that's you, have a good day and I'll see you next time.  You don't have to read any more.  For the rest of us, I'll continue with my thought.

Many of us have probably heard in one context or another the phrase "the longer I live the less I know."  I'm that way with the Christian faith.  Maybe I'm that way because of that noun at the end of the sentence ... faith.  The longer I walk with God, and the more I try to learn about His ways, and the more I seek His will for my life, the more I realize that faith in what we can not see is really one of the cornerstones.

I just got home from my workout at the local YMCA.  As I was riding the recumbent bike I was thinking ... at least that's what I was doing when I wasn't skipping through my iPod, or admiring some of the guys who have obviously been going to the gym a LOT longer than I have.  I was thinking about where I'm at in life.  I was thinking about some of the changes that have taken place in the past few years.  I was thinking about what God might have in store for my future.  You know what I came up with?  Nothing.  All that thinking and pondering led to absolutely nothing.  Now for those in my life who have told me that I think too much (if they're reading this for whatever reason), now's your chance to tell me that 'you told me so.'  For those willing to keep reading with an open mind, you might realize that you're in the same place I am ... wondering what God is up to.

I've prayed that God would heal my back.  It's not healed yet.  I've prayed for God to help me overcome depression.  I spent ten minutes crying ... well ... bawling my eyes out on my way back from Fenton today.  I've asked God to provide me a job, so I can work to support my wife and I.  I've gotten some "work", but no steady job.  I've asked God to bring my unsaved family members to a saving relationship with Him.  Hasn't happened.  Over the years I've prayed and asked and prayed and asked, all the while trying to do so with the right motives, only for God to, in my eyes, not respond.  So what is it all for?  Why do we as Christians walk the walk?  Why do we strive to live the way God wants us to?  Solomon, one of the wisest if not the wisest men to ever walk this earth spent the entire book of Ecclesiastes trying to figure it out.  You know what he came up with ... Mr. Wisest Dude Ever?  Simply this ... fear God, and keep his commandments.  Is that it Solomon?  That's the best you could give us?


Yes.  Yes it is.  And it's enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home