“Don't cast your pearls before swine.”
I'm not sure where in the Bible that verse is … I'm afraid you'll have to look this one up on your own, or just take my word that it's an actual verse. I'm sitting in my lazy-boy chair at my cottage, and I don't have a Bible or an internet connection, so I can't look it up for you. It's a rainy, rainy, and I mean rainy day up here, so what better to do than write?
Earlier today we were down at my sister-in-law's cottage. Within the vast array of topics being covered by the five of us, it came up that I got to meet Derek St. Holmes, rhythm guitar player and vocalist for the Ted Nugent band. My wife mentioned how she told one of our neighbors up here about it. The neighbor's reaction … “big deal.”
I can see how some would think it isn't a big deal. I'm a bit surprised that she had that reaction. After all, for the past year or more her life has teetered on the brink as she's dealt with a few types of cancer. One would think that after going through what she's gone through, she'd have a greater appreciation for the simple yet special things in life. The story goes something like this …
My buddy Eric has a regular gig booked at a hotel owned by and next to a casino in mid-Michigan. He's asked me to play along with him throughout most of the summer. Last week we played the same night as the Ted Nugent/ZZ Top concert. After Ted was done, his band came into the lounge and listened to Eric and I play for most of the second set. Right before the end of the set, they got up and left. Derek however came back for part of the third set … by himself. It was quite a compliment to us that with all he could be doing, he decided to come back to hear us. After we were done, he left again. I took my time that night breaking down the equipment (something I never do). Well, there was definitely a reason I did that night. As I was getting ready to walk out of the lounge and head to my room, Mr. St. Holmes was walking by. He motioned to me “good job … good singing” … I motioned back “thank you.” Then I realized I couldn't just let the opportunity to talk to him go by.
I hustled out the door and said loud enough for him to hear me “thanks for coming back for that last set. We appreciate it.” He stopped, walked back to me, and engaged me in a short but very special and meaningful conversation. He said some things to me that were very kind, uplifting, and encouraging relative to me and my voice. We rode up the elevator together … I got off at my floor, said thank you again, and good night. As I was walking back to my room I was so excited to have met him … and so amazed at how down to earth he was. But then again, he's a fellow musician … we're sort of brothers in a way.
I refuse to let myself get too 'Pollyanna' in my thinking when it comes to music. Some have criticized me for that, but that's okay … I don't expect everyone to get it … or me. Enough do, and that's fine. At my age I'm just not sure what professional future I'd have in music. I do love what I do with it though, on a local and semi-regional basis, and it's nice to be in a place where I get to meet people like Derek, and to be encouraged by them. For me it was a pretty big deal … one of the biggest in my short musical journey. My neighbor at the lake obviously didn't think it was a big deal … too bad she hasn't gained enough wisdom through her own struggles to realize that sometimes it's best to keep you opinions to yourself. I wonder who she casts her pearls before? I'll certainly never cast mine before her again.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home