"You who answer prayer; to you all people will come."
Psalm 65:2
Eventually you'll get there. I don't know what it will take to move you, but eventually you will. I remember what it took to move me like it was yesterday. It was a Monday morning in August, 1990. August 20 to be exact. I woke up sometime around 7 am. I wasn't sleeping well at the time. The week prior was a pretty miserable week ...
I had no idea pastors didn't work on Monday. Probably because I hadn't spent much time at church growing up. Anyway, not knowing anything about church counseling or pastor's schedules, I decided that morning to go talk to a pastor. The day before, I visited a church with some friends. The church is what you would call a Mega Church, with over 4,000 members and attenders. That's the church I went to. I showed up about 8:00 am, only to be told there there were no pastors or counselors there at that time. The gal working at the front desk told me that only one pastor would be in that day, and that he usually arrives some time after 9:00 am. I decided to wait.
About an hour later the pastor walked through the front doors. The receptionist told him I was waiting to talk to someone, so he invited me to join him in his office. I spent the next three hours pouring my heart out ... and emptying my eyes of whatever tears I had left. At the end of my visit he led me in a prayer asking Jesus into my heart. For those not hip on Christian vernacular, that means that I gave Jesus control of my life, and turned the reins over to Him.
That was a long time ago. Between that day, and this morning, I've had to continually go to God ... time and time again, mostly because of my faults ... and poor decisions ... and my weaknesses. Here's the good part though ... God has been there every time I've shown up at the foot of His throne. There hasn't been a prayer I've offered up that He hasn't listened to and answered. He may not always answer them the way I want Him to, or in the time frame I want them to be answered in, but He always, always answers. He's crazy in love with you and I ... look at what Romans 8:38-39 has to say about that:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Nothing can separate us from Him, including ourselves ... our faults ... our poor decision making ... or our self perceived weaknesses. Nothing in creation ... which pretty much includes everything. Jesus tells his disciples in John 16:33 that "in this world you will have trouble, but take heart for I have overcome the world!"
Whatever you are dealing with, Jesus has overcome it. However down and out you may be feeling, Jesus has overcome it. Whatever loss you may be experiencing, Jesus has overcome it. Whatever troubles have come your way, Jesus has overcome them. I know what you're thinking, because I'm having the same conversation with myself right now ... easier said than believed. I know ... do I know. It's hard to believe those statements when you're going through it. It seems impossible at times to move on when the weight of your emotions is holding you down. You and I need to do our best to be still and know that God is still God. We need to pray and ask Him to help us. We need to ask those around us to stand in agreement with us. Don't try to "go it alone." I have, and it doesn't work.
If you haven't yet asked Jesus to take over your troubled life, why wait? Take the next five seconds of your life to ask Him to come in, to take over. I promise He won't ever let you down. God bless.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home