"Although our sins testify against us,
do something, LORD, for the sake of your name.
For we have often rebelled;
we have sinned against you."
Jeremiah 14:7, New International Version
"We know that we suffer because of our sins.
Lord, do something to help us for the good of your name.
We have left you many times;
we have sinned against you."
Jeremiah 14:7, New Century Version
"We know that we suffer because of our sins ..."
Sin is not the greatest of topics to talk about. It's much easier to talk about the goodness of God, the miraculous things that He does, and the love and mercy that He extends to us on a daily basis. I don't like talking about sin because I know I'm guilty of it. But not just me ... don't think I've let you off the hook ... the Bible says that we've all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). I use myself as an example because I know myself better than I know you. Feel free to examine your own life as you read this.
I tend to worry too often. In the book of Matthew, chapter 6, verses 25-34 Jesus tells us not to worry. In verse 27 He asks "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Good point Rabbi. It won't necessarily stop me from worrying about something later today, or tomorrow, or next month, but I understand it. Some days I understand it and live it out more than others. On the days where I don't, I suffer as a result. My worry leads to anxious thoughts, and sometimes panic, and then more intense worry, and then ... I think you get the picture. Thankfully Jesus, you've promised to be faithful to us even when we're faithless (2 Timothy 2:13).
I've asked myself many times why that is? Why is God so faithful to clowns like me? We all have a reputation ... some are lucky enough to have a good one. In my career I've worked hard for 16 plus years to establish myself at being good at what I do. I put my clients' needs first; I treat them with honesty, even if it means disagreeing with them; I go above and beyond to make sure that they know how important their business is to me and the firms I've worked for. As a result, I've earned a good reputation. God doesn't have an ego to satisfy, like you and I do, but the power His name carries ... and what it means to mankind ... that's important to Him. The last thing He's going to let happen is for His name to suffer as a result of the actions of a guy like me. He doesn't want those around me to focus on my tendency to worry. He wants those around me to see, IN SPITE of me, what He CAN DO with a guy like me.
"We have left you many times; we have sinned against you."
It's embarrassing how many times I've left God. One could argue that each time I did it was intentional. I'd argue differently. Don't get me wrong, over the past 21 years I've had my times where I was angry with God. Angry at circumstances, or outcomes, or at His apparent, temporary abandonment of me. During those times, I'm the one who walked away. Not in the "Job's-wife-curse-God-and-die" sort of way ... instead I retreated within ... stopped praying ... and reading ... and hoping ... intentionally. Then there were the times where I thought I was doing the right thing. I moved in a certain direction, or ventured down a specific path, thinking I was doing what I was supposed to, only to figure out later that it wasn't. I was unintentionally outside of God's will. It wasn't a waste of time ... I try to learn from everything ... but it wasn't what I should have been doing.
Jesus, I'm forever grateful for the cross. I'm thankful that you came as our redemption plan, our Savior, our sin-forgiver and debt-payer. Even though our sin testified against us, God the father chose to send you to wash us clean, and I believe, for the sake of His name as well. I'm grateful that even when I lack faith, that you don't, for You can not disown those who have turned to you because You live in us, and you can not disown Yourself. For a guy like me who at times seems to only know how to learn things the hard way, I'm glad for that promise. Thank you for your faithfulness Jesus, but not just for me. Thank you more so for those around me, for those watching and listening, even when I don't know it. You see, nothing I say or do can make a lasting impact on anyone, but You, working in, through, and around me ... You can make an impact on their lives that can last for all eternity. For that and scores of other reasons, I pray for more of You and less of me in my life. I love you. Amen.
"On the day I die
I know where I'm gonna go
Me and Jesus got that part worked out
I'll wait at the gates 'til His face I see
And stand in a long line of sinners like me"
Sinners Like Me by Eric Church


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home