"I thought you would call me ‘Father’
and not turn away from following me."
Jeremiah 3:19
Allow me to share an abbreviated and paraphrased Biblical history lesson with you.
God created the earth and everything in it in six days, then rested on the seventh. In order to allow us to rest better, he created Sunday football. Okay, so anyway, as part of His creation God made Adam and Eve. They walked around the Garden of Eden loving life. Heaven's fallen angel, the devil, tempted them into eating an apple from the forbidden tree so they could become like God, if not more. Man disses their Creator, and sin enters the world.
Man continues to live in sin, worshiping false gods, and just flat out ignores the true God. God doesn't take to that well so he brings the rain. He gives one guy, Noah, and his family a chance to make it out alive from the ensuing flood. Noah tries to warn everyone, telling them what God said, but nobody believed him. Man again turns his back on God. Noah builds a big boat, gets ridiculed by his neighbors, collects every animal he can, then boards the ark with his family. It rains for forty days and forty nights. Everyone dies except Noah and his family.
Noah's boys and their wives get busy repopulating the earth (look to the person sitting next to you and tell your cousin hello). We eventually end up with a bunch of people. They slowly forget where they came from, forget how God has had their back for hundreds of years, and start worshiping false gods ... again. And again, man turns from God.
Notice the pattern? Does it look familiar at all ... maybe represent your life? It does mine. Turn to God. Turn from God. Turn back to God. Think too highly of myself and my so called abilities and turn from God. Realize I'm nothing without Him and turn back to God. Why do we make life so difficult? Okay, maybe you don't ... so why do I make life so difficult? I heard a saying the other day that went like this: You'll never know that God is all you need until God is all you have. Having gotten to that point a few times in life, can I make a suggestion to you? Save yourself the pain and agony of learning that the hard way, and just decide for yourself right now that God is all you need. He is you know ... He is all you really need. When life deals you the toughest of blows ... you know, the big stuff like terminal illness, or divorce, or the death of a loved one, it's not your house or your car or your job or your iPad or your 52" Samsung that will comfort and restore you. Your wife can't do it, your dad can't do it, your boss can't do it. There is only one God, and when I realized it wasn't me, life got a little easier to deal with. The problems were still there, I just didn't have to face them on my own.
My biological father left me when I was young. Trying to embrace God as "God the Father" was not easy for me to do. Having had a parent like that, and then not having the opportunity to be a parent myself, I can't really say that I know how God felt when humanity turned their backs on Him. Even more it's hard to understand how He could send his son Jesus to forgive humanity for all of their sin. Are you a dad? Or a mom? How would you feel if your kids walked away from you and didn't include you in their lives? I would imagine that would hurt.
God really is all you need. If you haven't yet, consider giving Him a chance. God bless.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home