Friday, February 11, 2011

Random Thoughts ...

Some days I find it very difficult to focus on things ... on any thing for that matter.  Today is one of those days.  I'm not sure of the reason.  I suppose I could point to a few things, but that won't change how distracted I feel.  So if you don't mind, I'm going to break from the norm a bit.  I don't have a Bible verse to speak about, because I just can't focus enough to find one, and then think and meditate on it enough to come up with anything worthwhile to share.  Instead I'm going to start firing off random thoughts (which is so easy for me to do), mixing in a few random questions as well.  Take it all for what it's worth.  I have no idea what's going to follow here in the next paragraph or six, but I pray that God would use my scattered brain to touch the life of someone tonight.  After all Jesus, it's all about you.  Here goes nothing ...

How do you look at yourself spiritually?  Are you a Christian?  Do you know what that term means?  I think I do, however I'd rather describe myself as a follower of Christ, or a believer.  The term Christian has been so watered down, but if someone tells me they're a Christ follower ... well ... that sends a whole different message to me.

I think a lot of things are easier said than done.  That's why I try to choose my words very carefully when speaking to someone else about a sensitive or troubling issue.  I tend to believe that most people don't.  I believe it's more common for someone to speak without thinking than it is for them to do the opposite.  Think about that for awhile ...

You're only as good as your word.  If you tell someone something ... maybe something you'll do for them, or commit to, you better do it.  I understand forgiveness, but integrity means a lot to me.

What's your take on praying?  Do you think it's worth your time?  I hope you do.  I'm not talking about thanking God for your dinner, or the "now I lay me down to sleep ..." prayers.  I'm talking about you and God getting alone together, away from the noise of the day, and away from others ... just you and Him, spending quality time together.  I don't care if it's 5 minutes or 5 hours, you and God need to spend time together every day.  It's the only way you'll get to know him.

Have you ever been let down?  Has someone close to you ... a spouse, or family member, or friend ... not lived up to the impossible expectations you placed upon them ... without them knowing it?  So by them not living up to those expectations, did they really let you down?  I guess when I look at it that way, the answer would have to be no.  I don't know who I expect more from, the people around me, or me.  The sad thing is, no one will ever live up to those expectations ... I certainly won't ... because we're all human.  Knowing that still doesn't make it easier to deal with, at least not immediately.  Maybe it will over time.

Is knowledge really power?

Why do we park in the driveway, and drive on a parkway?  Just curious ...

Do you give God as much credit for the good things that happen in life as you do the blame for the bad things that happen in life?  The Bible says all good things come from God.  If you haven't made it a habit, start thanking him now for all the good things that happen to you, regardless of how big or small they may seem.

I'm at a crossroads in my life right now concerning my passion for music.  I have people telling me weekly what they think I should do.  I don't know what to do ...at the moment it just doesn't seem that important to me.  Guess I can add this to a long list of "I don't know what to do's".

So how do I wrap this up, and make it all worthy of being posted to the Chasing God blog site?  I can start by saying this ... you now know a little bit more about me, and there should be no doubt in your mind that I'm just a regular guy trying to do his best in life.  I may write well, and (most of the time) organize my thoughts well, but I'm just as confused and lost as the next person in a lot of ways.  I'm obsessive, and compulsive, and I love deeply ... too much at times it seems, and I'm fiercely loyal, and I don't concentrate well.  I tend to learn things the hard way.  I've drawn people into my life and I've pushed people away.  I've loved too much and cared too little.  I think too much and talk too much.  Like I said, I'm just a normal person.  Normal meaning we all deal with things like these, if not worse.  By now you're asking where the 'wrap up' is aren't you?  Here it is: in spite of how normal or abnormal we are, and in spite of the mistakes we make, the dumb things we say, and thoughtless things we do, God still loves us.  God loves you.  A lot.  He even loves me.  I want so bad to really feel His love, like I would from a person sitting next to me.  You see, people who love me let me down.  I let them down.  God will never let either of us down ... ever. 

If you haven't done so already, turn your imperfect, letting-others-down self over to Him.  He's waiting with open arms.  Life won't become perfect after you make a commitment to God, but I'd rather go through the pains of life with Him on my side than without.  I'm sure you'll agree some day too.  God bless you.  Good night.

One more random thought ... here's the song I'm singing at church this weekend.  If you're not busy, come by Trinity Church at 6 pm on Saturday, or 9:00 and 11:00 am on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home