Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today ..."
Hebrews 3:13, New International Version

I hope you can all be a little patient with me ... maybe even a tad forgiving ... for keeping things short tonight, or today, whenever you read this.  I've been spending most of the night touching up my resume and drafting a cover letter for a job opportunity I'm interested in.  If I get it, I'll share more with you at that time.  Right now I still need to keep it on the "D.L."

Many of you know me as a talker.  I'm pretty quick to pick up a phone to call someone to say hello.  I like to write, and e-mail, and I.M., and text, but I do love a real, live conversation.  When one of my nieces was just a young girl ... maybe around the age of 10 or so ... I would call her once every few weeks or so ... maybe once a month.  She wouldn't talk at all.  An occasional "uh huh", or "yep", but not much more than that.  Then again, she was 10.  I kept calling her on a regular basis her whole life, and still do to this day ... she's 22.  Every once in a while she even answers.  Last night after I posted my blog she posted a wonderful comment about it in the facebook thread.  We 'saw' each other on facebook around 11 pm or later, and chatted with each other for over an hour.  I loved it!  It made my day that much better, but even as much as I loved chatting with her, it will never replace talking with her on the phone or in person.  She has a way of encouraging me just by loving me as her uncle.

Who are you encouraging?  Who is the person, or persons, in your life that are you investing in by calling them!?  Texting doesn't count, even if you are using a phone.  Sometimes people need to hear a voice ... I know I do.  When I'm down, or struggling, or even when I'm flat out excited about something, I want to TALK to someone about it ... not text, or send an e-mail that might get answered in a day or two.  So I call, and if people don't like it ... oh well :)  If you aren't the kind of person to do that ... to encourage others ... to send them a card, or make a phone call, or God forbid to stop at their house unannounced with lunch or a cup of coffee ... change.  It's easy ... you can do it!

The message below was sent to me today from someone who reads "Chasing God".  It was great to open up my facebook inbox and see this.  I'd been writing boring stuff for over two hours and needed a break.  What a break this was!  I wrote the person back thanking them for the kind words and encouragement.  I have to get back to the boring stuff now, but wanted to take a minute to share this, and to encourage you all to enjoy the chase!  God bless.


"Thanks for the help and insight Joe, I really appreciate it.

When I was growing up, our family rarely went Church and when I mean rarely, I mean lucky to hit an Easter here or there. As a matter of fact, I can't remember a single time that my Dad attended Church. I didn't get off to a good start, but I know that the Holy Spirit has always dwelled inside me.

I was actually Baptized as a Catholic about seven years ago, but I felt that the Catholic Religion was more about particular rituals and being told scripture, instead of being encouraged to learn more about a personal relationship with God.

The blog is great and is a pleasure to read. You are able incorporate scripture, story and song, which is easy to relate to and understand. Plus, from what I've read so far, we are similar in a lot of ways.

We've all done things in the past that we regret and it's easy to beat yourself up about it, but you are a very talented guy that should be proud of contributing to the lives of others, like myself.

Reading your blog has really helped me to change my thought process and has given me the desire to handover the reins to God and let him direct me down the path that he has set out for me, because I'm tired of trying to drive and worry about things that I've done and things I can't control.

Thanks again and I look forward to the chase! God Bless!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home