Tuesday, January 11, 2011



I've read about your best friends
The twelve men that you chose
I've heard about the time they spent
Learning what the Savior knows
I want to walk that close with you
But at times you seem so far
Show me how to get to where you are


Help me to approach your throne of grace without my fear
Help me to listen to your voice
Help me to ignore the noise, that invades my every day
Help me Lord to know how to pray


It seems it should be easy
People do it every day
I've read about the life you lived
By example, showed the way
I want to live my life like you
But at times it seems so hard
Show me how to get to where you are


Help me to approach your throne of grace without me fear
Help me to listen to your voice
Help to ignore the noise, that invades my every day
Help me Lord to know how to pray


There are times I feel I'm finally getting through
And all at once I can hear your voice
It can only be you


Now I can approach your throne of grace without my fear
And I know what I hear is your voice
Kneeling at the foot of the cross, knowing you have shown the way
Thank you Lord for helping me
Thank you Lord for helping me
You helped me Lord to know how to pray

How to Pray by Joe Wright

Please indulge me for one more song ... at least one more.  At times I think a song lyric can tell a story as well as anything, but lest I digress.

This was the first song I wrote.  The basis of it came from a sermon I heard at church years ago on the "Six Steps to Answered Prayer".  For those who don't know me well, I enjoy a life influenced by Attention Deficit Disorder.  I heard ADD described like this once: imagine watching 100 different channels on your television ... all at the same time.  So far that's been the most accurate description I've heard.  So I'm sitting in church ... the pastor is on step four ... I've got the first one written down ... most of the second ... nothing for the third because I was probably trying to remember the rest of the second point ... oh crap, now what?  If I can't even take good notes on the six steps, how the heck am I supposed to remember them when I'm praying?  Most of the time I can't get two minutes into praying without my mind wandering to what I want for breakfast, or what I need to get done that day, or how "so and so" ticked me off yesterday ... it's hopeless ... I guess I'll never have a prayer answered.

There was a guy, convicted of stealing, and sentenced to execution.  We know him as the "thief on the cross".  He was next to Jesus, witnessing the events of that horrible, history changing day.  He watched as the Roman soldiers cast lots for Jesus' clothes ... as they nailed him to the cross ... as they erected the cross, causing the weight of Jesus' body to push against the nails through his hands and feet.  Can you imagine what he must have been thinking ...

"Who is this guy?  Those who follow Him call him King of the Jews, but what king would get treated like this?  I've never seen torture like this before.  I've never seen such hate ... such disgust.  Did he kill someone?  I don't know ... he seems a little too passive.  Hold on ... he's trying to say something ..."

"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

"His dad is here?  I don't see him.  That must be his mother kneeling there ... the one crying ... the one trying to get his clothes from the soldiers.  Poor woman ... but who is this father he's talking to?  Wait a minute ... could he be ...?  No ... but ... maybe ... could he be the savior we learned about as kids?  Could he be the one prophesied about?  It must be ..."

38 There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.  39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”
 40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
 42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
 43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
Luke 23: 38-43 

"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."  How many steps did he follow?  Like I said, I don't remember what they were, but using common sense, I can't see six individual steps highlighted in that prayer.  His prayer was answered though wasn't it?  That's what God does, He answers our prayers.  In my life He answers in one of three ways: yes, yes but not now, and no.

God wants you to talk to Him.  He wants you to share your ups and downs, your joy and pain, and yes, even your needs and wants.  Remember what you did to get to know your best friend?  You took the time, made the phone calls, stopped over unannounced from time to time, asked them questions, and listened to what they had to say.  You communicated with them.  God is waiting for the same thing.  It's not that He's bored, or without something to do.  He wants to be your best friend, your source, your provider ... your God.

We're living in crazy times.  Birds are falling from the sky and fish are floating belly up.  On a more serious note, millions are out of work ... people are losing their homes ... nine year olds are getting murdered at political gatherings.  What's going on in your life?  What mountain are you facing?  What crosses have you been called to bear?  If you've been reading this blog for more than two weeks, you've heard my story ... you know what I'm facing.  I can't imagine going through life without God.  I can't imagine typing the next word without God looking over me.  If you've stumbled across this blog and don't know God in a deep, personal, saving way, please get that taken care of.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Only God can define your 'everything', but get it taken care of.

For the rest of us ... keep up the fight.  Run the race to win.  We don't need to worry about six steps, or perfect form, or proper prayer, or anything else other than constant, daily communication with God.  Share everything with Him.  If you commit to doing that, please don't make it all about yourself.  The greatest privilege we have is to pray for others.  I've found that's the best way to forget about what I'm going through. 

We're living in crazy times.  I suggest spending crazy amounts of time talking to God.  Thank you Jesus for teaching me how to pray.  Talk to you soon. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again I was blessed by this blog. keep them coming.

Wed Jan 12, 01:46:00 PM 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent insight. Plus, you helped me better understand myself...I am half dexlysic and I can't spell! Thanks, second best friend:)

Wed Jan 12, 06:28:00 PM 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home